Textile waste facts:
- North Americans send 9.5 million tonnes of clothing to landfills every year. 95% of which can be reused or recycled.
- One trillion kilowatt-hours are used every year by the global textile industry. That equals 10% of the global total carbon impact.
- The average person throws away 37 Kilograms of textiles annually.
- Globally, textiles waste has increased dramatically due to the rise in clothing consumption and production. The number of new garments produced annually now exceeds 100 billion and is double the amount compared to the year 2000.
- The volume of freshwater used by the fashion industry is 79 million cubic meters, which is predicted to increase by 50% by 2030.